IP Based Access Control Systems
The term access control (AC) refers to the system of selective restriction of access to certain information or place. With the rapid advancement in technology, this type of security system has become an inextricable part of our quotidian life as they are extensively used in corporate sectors and various other professional areas.
Amongst several categories of access control system that includes mobile based access control, physical access control, etc, IP-based access control is gaining rapid popularity nowadays in the security industry because of its efficiency and other convenient features. This type of access control has also become fairly easy to implement in a certain workplace because of the ubiquity of internet connection and IT-based industries in every part of the world.
Here, a few aspects of this system along with its irrefutable benefits are going to be discussed below.
Introduction to IP Based Access Control Systems:
Basically, IP based access control system involves an electronic access controller that is specifically designed for controlling the entry and exit to and from a restricted area as well as for identifying the users precisely. A controller of this kind is capable of supporting multiple (up to 4) basic access control readers. These readers are also known as non-intelligent readers as they are only capable of reading the card number or PIN of an individual and sending it to the main server via Ethernet. In most cases Wiegand protocol is used for transmitting such data.
Difference between IP Based and Traditional Access Control System:
In terms of building architecture and working procedure, these two access control systems exhibit conspicuous distinction between them. Some of these differences include:
- Unlike traditional access controllers, IP controllers are directly connected to the LAN/WAN connection and as a result, they can keep track of all input and output data necessary for controlling enter and exit along with monitoring door inputs and locks.
- Traditional access controlling system is incapable of functioning properly without the presence of a terminal server whereas an IP based access control system has its own onboard network interface that assists in independent functioning.
Regain Full Control the Easy Way
Discover what makes Kisi the most advanced cloud access control solution.
Types of IP Access:
IP Access control system can implement more than one type of IP access. They are:
- Embedded IP access: This type of IP access can operate on a single site and the door count is usually low. Embedded IP access stores the important data regarding credentials and PIN numbers on the control panel which is directly connected with the browser. Embedded IP access based control systems are used in myriads of business sectors because of it is relatively inexpensive and fairly easy to install and operate.
- Server based IP access: The server based IP access is capable of handling multiple websites simultaneously and the door count is much higher than the embedded IP access. Sever based IP stores all the necessary data on the server that consists of multiple control panels.
- Hosted IP access: Hosted IP access system is the most sophisticated system that can operate thousand of websites. Hosted IP consists of a highly secured data centre with redundant backups and audited information security. In this case the browser links to the web application containing several control panels.
Applications of IP Based Access Control System:
Nowadays, this specific access control system has several applications in corporate sectors and security industry. Some of them are:
- Biometric access control system: Biometric access control is nowadays indispensable for the identification of employees in an office as well as the applicants of a competitive exam. In this system, usually fingerprint is used for identification in high security areas. In corporate sectors, biometric is used to keep track of the employees’ attendance and calculation of payroll whereas in case of applications, biometric is used to prevent malfeasances like forgery or identity theft.
- Proximity access control system: The proximity access control system is nowadays widely used in banks and corporate areas to ensure the safety of the surrounding environment. There are over 50 kinds of proximity access control systems available in the market that can be operated quite easily by implementing an IP based access controller.
- Door access control system: IP based access door closing and opening system is an extremely efficient as well as affordable security system. In this system, the door comes with an electromagnetic lock that can be controlled by an IP based server for allowing the entrance and exit of certain individuals. Because of the simplicity of this system, the installation of door access control is also easier and relatively inexpensive. Nowadays, magnetic door locks with uninterrupted power supply is also used in airports, homes, offices, and data centers.
Reasons to Use IP Based Access Control Systems:
This particular access system comes with numerous advantages over others. They are:
- Easy installation: One of the principal reasons behind using this system is its simplicity. In this system, the existing network is completely utilised by the IP controllers to ensure the security of a certain restricted area. As a result, installing additional communication lines becomes irrelevant making the installation of this system much simpler and easier. Also, special knowledge for termination, troubleshooting, grounding of RS-485 communication lines is not required for installing an IP based access control system.
- Flexibility: This access control system offers immense flexibility as there is no limit of the number of total IP based access controllers. You can install multiple controllers within a single system and increase the security of necessary information in single installation. This flexibility not only saves a significant amount of time but a considerable amount of money in terms of installation cost as well.
- Accuracy and speed: An IP based access control is capable of sending the verifiable information to the main control unit and take decisions accordingly very quickly. Also, with all the necessary information stored on the database, this security system works infallibly by not allowing a single individual in the restricted area with proper access code. Also, this system is capable of keeping records in an organised manner so that issues like attendance or proper identity can be easily resolved.
In this competitive world, security is an essential entity to be properly taken care of and with the implementation of new technologies the security industry is also upgrading. Under the circumstances, IP based access control system has become essential for both discretionary and mandatory access control systems with its efficacy and numerous beneficial features.