Review of Genetec
Genetec is one of the leading providers of IP-based access control and security solutions. It offers multiple physical security solutions such as access control systems, video management systems and vehicle license plate recognition, which are all powerful tools used to increase safety. All these of these solutions are related to management and access to a place, building or even infrastructures.
Founded in 1997, Genetec has over 1,200 employees and has helped more than 13,000 customers. Genetec access solutions are designed for all kinds of business, government, educational, household and healthcare facilities. It is suitable for all users who want to keep their existing access system and upgrade some parts of their access system with more modern ones.
Genetec access control solutions include the following pieces of technology, which can be used by themselves or as part of a larger system:
- Automatic license plate recognition
- Security cameras
- Intrusion panels
- Mobile and web apps
- KiwiVision video analytics
- Access control hardware
- Cloud-based video monitoring
- IP-based intelligent locks
- IP door controllers
- HID cards
- HID cell phone application
To use the mobile access system, you need to download the Genetec app on your mobile phone. Registered credentials are required to enter into the mobile application. Once it is verified from the central security center, your mobile device turns into a mobile HID key. You can use your mobile as a key on the door controllers to get access to the desired area or building. Other than above listed products, Genetec also offers products from its partners that are easily compatible with comprehensive access control solutions.
It is very important to note that the entire physical access solution offered by Genetec – whether locally or from the cloud – is fully integrated based on IP addresses. Each node of the system talks to the central control center connected through the Cloud Link Appliance, which allows all types of existing and new physical access systems from multiple locations to be integrated through internet for unified control management. This cloud access control system is compatible with different interfaces and products of other vendors to integrate into one access control system.
One of the most important features of the Genetec access control system is that it can integrate with all existing security systems through compatible devices. The company keeps access control budgets under control. The management of the entire access system offers numerous functions, features and capabilities that are often necessary for a modern mission critical security system. Genetec offers different levels of authorities, time zoning, area zoning, event-based access, task based access control and many other kinds of features, such as automated door schedules and group-based access.
Advantages of Genetec
- Cloud-based access control: Like other leading companies, Genetec’s products can be used in a cloud-based application, meaning that administrators can update and respond to the system from anywhere using a mobile device or browser. This is ideal for businesses that plan to grow in the future.
- Comprehensive security insights: Users can have access to detailed reporting and events along with the visuals of events, if integrated with the security cameras. This feature makes it more useful in the installations and buildings of government and high-security organizations.
- Easy integration: Existing security systems and hardware can be integrated into Genetec’s software. This cuts down on costs and makes switches and expansion much easier than they could be otherwise.
Disadvantages of Genetec
- Poor app update: Users of the Genetec security app report that the new version lacks the functionality of legacy versions, meaning that they have lost a great deal of accessibility with the update. It’s something to consider when making such a big investment.
- Unhappy employees: Genetec’s employees report that they feel unhappy under a recent change in leadership that has left them feeling overworked and underappreciated. Unsatisfied employees often mean underlying issues with the business.
- Confusing pricing and products: The company’s website can be hard to navigate, and prices are difficult to find, meaning that potential buyers won't know any of the costs until they request a quote.
Genetec keeps its access control solutions ahead of the other competitors by implementing the latest technologies in its mission critical security access control solutions. It uses cloud access control system to keep its solutions in line with the trend of technologies based on the cloud. The cloud access control system can easily be used through mobile apps or web apps from anywhere and anytime across the globe. This feature allows all existing access systems located at different locations to integrate through cloud link device.
What are the alternatives?
For further information about access control costs, take a look at our article on access control systems installation costs.
If you're looking for an alternative to Genetec, you can see how Kisi works here.